Monday, January 25, 2010

My 5 Values

So its been 5 days now . . .and I'm still not sure what my life values are. I guess number is pretty easy.

1. Family - which now means Aston. I want to do all I can to provide for him and be the best mum I can be. I know that sounds a bit wanky but I really mean it. I also want to take the time though to enjoy watching him grow, learn and change. It has been such an amazing joruney already and he is only 9 months old.

I also love being close to my mum, dad and siblings and am trying o reconnect a bit more with some of the extended family.

Friendship was going to be my number two but the friends I have now are more like family. The group of people I send most of my time with is just one big (often disfunctional and always crazy) extended family!

Now I'm stuck. There are so many things that make my life what is it that I am finding it hard to narrow it down and focus on the most important things.

2. This might seem silly but I think Adventure would be a top five. I want so desperately to travel and explore the world (which i will do just might not be for a few years). So in the meantime I think it is important to find adventure in our everyday life. I want to camp more and all that sort of thing but even trips to the park or walks on the strand. I think Adventure is also a frame of mind - so tackle each ad every day like it is your next exciting adventure!

Helen Keller once said "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

3. Career/Financial Security - HUH! This used to be my number one or two for sure but more I am a little jaded on the topic. Well not jaded I guess I have just changed how I feel about it.
Career wise I still have goals and ambition it is just more about saving up to buy myself a bookshop to run then being the Richard Banson of my generation.
Financial Security has actually increased in importance but it scares me now (because it seem in elusive concept). And as for the house dream. . .well lets just say I hope we get there before Aston starts school!

4. SLEEP!! Again might seem silly to you (but if your a mum maybe it won't). This is a tricky one though and I actually have to work hard to remind myself to sleep and or rest. As life gets busier over the next couple of months being super organised and staying focused are going to be critical but so is making time for some down time! So I guess I also mean time to read (and to blog). Lets rename for TIME FOR ELLE! Yep I like that :)

I should have made friendship number 2 - then I would be done now and could go to bed!

5. Learning (or Growth) I think will round out my top five. I love to read and learn about other peoples lives and experiences, countries, ways of thinking or seeing the world. I hope to god I finish my official studies this year but I love always learning more at work or from books - hell being a mum is just big learning curve.

I think this is big thing for me at the moment because I have made a few colossal mistakes over the last few years - and while I cant regret them, because I wouldn't be where I am without them, I can forgive myself easier if I learn the lessons from them! Which I am still doing on a daily basis I think.

This blog is hopefully another instrument in my growth this year. I am sure those of you reading this that spend time with me a regular basis will see a gap between what I write and what I do or say over a cup of coffee. Just so you know, I am well aware of the gap! I just hope the more I write and think this way about life the smaller it will get!

Well its WAY past my bed time and this was a hard one to write. . .so

TTFN!



No comments:

Post a Comment